THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

1 February 2013

NORTHERN SPOTTED OWL AND A SNOW BUNTING ON DARTMOOR


Second drawing in a week.....what's going on? Therapy I think and cancelled stuff allowing an unusual amount of free time. Am so enjoying using pen and water colour again. The reference photo for this was very kindly given by Kate in the USA at:
http://chroniclesofacountrygirl.blogspot.co.uk. 
Clearly this is not a native British breed which made it even more interesting to do. Anyway, hope you like it. I'm having HUGE problems printing the magpies. The close meshed pen work just disappears into a mass of black bleeding ink and loses all subtlety. I think I need to ring the paper manufacturers and see if they have any advice. I can't afford too many more mistakes at £1.00 a sheet!

It's been SO windy here but that's incredibly difficult to express through photography as nothing that might flex in a photogenic way can survive out on the moor, The grass is already flattened and the gorse bushes just wag a bit. Any trees out there are already sculpted into wind induced shapes so, I present to you:

WIND EXPRESSED THROUGH THE MEDIUMS OF DOG FUR, PONY HAIR AND PUDDLES 








I was nearly blown over on a number of occasions and came back feeling like my eyes had been sand blasted. It's a bit better today and no rain! 

Just before I go, I went to make a cup of tea earlier and saw a flash of white in our little Rowan tree out of the kitchen window. I looked closer and realised it was a Snow Bunting! I rushed to get the camera, turned it on, zoomed in and pressed the button. Unfortunately, in my haste and excitement, I didn't manage to focus and, as a result, am publishing possibly the worst photo ever taken. However, because of it's distinctive colour, or lack of it, I thought it worth putting in. Not sure it would stand up in court but it was there - honestly. They've been seen in Cornwall too apparently..... 


Until next time, have a lovely weekend and here's Snippet again looking ridiculous in the wind....


22 comments:

  1. I do believe you've captured a snow bunting ghost!

    Your photos do a great job of showcasing the wind... hope your weekend isn't quite so blustery!

    New follower, thanks for co-hosting, have a great weekend!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, great shots capturing the wind! I didnt even know that we get snow buntings here, going to go and look it up in a mo.

    Good to see you today.
    love rx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn - It is ghostly isn't it. Do you get them too I wonder?

    Rachel - According to our old-ish bird book they're only supposed to be in Scotland! Good to see you too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh lovely windy pics! very exciting to have snow buntings, I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor Snippet. I guess he's used to it by now!
    The owl is lovely Em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE looking at everything you post; Ghostly is right, but good of you to still post Em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Owl!

    I know what you mean by having trouble with printing out pen and ink! I also have trouble with graphite.

    Love the wind photos and especially those of the ponies.

    I how you are able to photograph a snow bunting. Across the pond they are only seen in the far northern states and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the owl drawing - hope you manage to sort out printing problems soon. The photos are wonderful - I really like the idea of using photos to show effects of the wind :)

    Well done on the Snow Bunting - have never seen one. We are off to Norfolk soon so live in hope they may still be on the coast there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW! A Snow Bunting! I take photos like that too so you are not alone! Brilliant windy photos too - gosh, it was a wonder you weren't blown clear over Hay Tor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Snow Bunting...in your garden?? Oh, my goodness, swoon swoon!! I would just be thrilled to see one anywhere but that's amazing, well done :-)

    Lovely 'windy' photos too. I am definitely in love with Snippet.

    Your drawing is absolutely beautiful....I loved the Magpies on the previous post too...How I wish I could draw, I have always longed to be able to. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kath - I'd never seen one either, hence my excitement and appalling display of photographic prowess!

    Rusty D - Snippet, at about eighteen inches tall, was getting a lot less of it than I was! He really doesn't seem to mind.

    Cindy - I felt I needed some proof that it existed....If I ever say I've seen a Golden eagle and there's no picture, don't believe me!

    Gail - I had no idea they came this fay down from Scotland but I guess with the strange weather we've had. The Lapwings that everyone except me have been spotting aren't supposed to be here either.

    I spoke to the paper company by the way and they've sent me some samples of smoother textured stuff which I'm going to try but I'm not holding out much hope.

    Ragged R - I was totally shocked to see and, like you, had never seen one. I'm scouring the trees every day now in the hope that it comes back.

    BB - I nearly was!

    ShySB - Just keep your fingers crossed it comes back and I have the camera properly focused next time. I feel such a fool but, in my defense, I was mid swoon too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe the cold north winds have blown your snow bunting down?

    Your photographs capture the wind brilliantly. Especially Nipper`s wild hair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Owl!
    Oh, and most of my best red squirrel photo opportunities have come out as red blobs! It's as if, taking any shot before you miss it is better than none at all, just as some sort of evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. DW - You could be right there, and it was very snowy here for such a long time.

    ChineC - I have never seen a red squirrel. Have always meant to go to Brownsea but, like so many things Id like to do, there never seems to be the time! Perhaps we should arrange an IOW holiday. After seeing your photographs, I'm really keen to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love the wind shown through the medium of dog hair! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Elizabeth. From a maintenance point of view, I wish he had less hair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can only echo everyone else it's flippin windy up there ;) Like the owl drawing, hope you can come to terms with the new paper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The paper company sent me some samples to try but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Will be trying them tomorrow. My neighbour told me it's going to snow here tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Jenn - It is ghostly isn't it. Do you get them too I wonder?"

    I have never seen one, and after a quick google it would seem that N. American snow buntings make their homes closer to the Arctic. What a treat it must have been to see one up close and personal!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's just a shame I got so excited it affected the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous posts recently (as always!), Em. It's a few years since I have been on Dartmoor in the snow, but you evoke the majesty and wildness graphically. Speaking of graphically (or paiterly!), I love the owl ... and magpies. Thought you might be amused to see my owl in the making here ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved your owl Caroline. Glad you liked mine too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.